A Cyclone,
Unacknowledged By Officialdom,
Hits Northwest
Everyone "Knows" Cyclones, Hurricanes, and Typhoons Cannot Occur In Cold Ocean Waters
What is THIS?
March 2, 1999!
Storm Knocks Out Power To Thousands In Northwest

SEATTLE (Reuters) - A powerful storm packing winds up to 80 mph (128
kph) wreaked havoc across the Pacific Northwest Wednesday, knocking out
power to more than 200,000 customers, snarling traffic and leaving one
person dead.

Heavy seas kicked up by the storm smashed into the bow section of a
disabled freighter being towed out to sea, which came loose from its
tugboat and ran aground for a second time on the Oregon coast.

The storm, which came ashore in southwest Washington shortly after
midnight, forced officials to close one of the two floating bridges
connecting Seattle with its eastern suburbs, backing up rush-hour
traffic for miles in all directions.

Passenger ferry service across Puget Sound also was canceled due to high

A 36-year-old driver was killed and three passengers were injured when a
tree fell on their car on the Tulalip Indian reservation about 40 miles
(64 km) north of Seattle, according to the Washington State Patrol.

The storm felled trees and snapped large branches throughout the region,
causing widely scattered power outages from Portland, Ore., north to
Bellingham, Wash.

"Our crews are working to get power restored, but as the winds continue,
the outages continue," said Dorothy Bracken of Puget Power, which
reported up to 110,000 homes and businesses without power in nine
western Washington counties.

Outages also were heavy north of Seattle, where Snohomish County
officials reported up to 69,000 customers without power at the storm's

The 440-foot bow section of the ill-fated freighter New Carissa, which
ran aground at Coos Bay, Ore., Feb. 4, was beached again near Waldport,
Ore., 80 miles (128 km) to the north, after its tow line came loose in
the storm late Tuesday.

Crews deployed booms around the vessel in case of any leaks from the
hull, laden with 135,000 gallons (513,000 litres) of solidified fuel

Coast Guard officials said they would try to reattach the line and pull
the boat section back to sea, where they planned to scuttle it.